26 Feb 2018
How to make your make up last longer
It’s the season of freshness and all things new, and the promise of warmer months has already got us looking ahead to sunshine-filled holidays and bronze, dewy skin. But as the temperature rises, our make-up starts to slide, and a brisk walk to the office results in a shiny T-zone and melting eyeliner – not so fresh.
To prepare ourselves for our most beautiful spring yet (we’re talking pouts and primer, rather than blossom and tulips), we’ve pulled together a round-up of all the top tips and tricks to keep your spring make-up look firmly in place.
- Don’t layer up too much. A thick layer of make-up can’t hold as well to the skin, so will be more likely to slide throughout the day.
- When building up coverage with your AmazingCosmetics Concealer, pat it into place with your fingers, a brush or wand. A back and forth or rubbing motion will wipe the concealer away, leaving you with patchy coverage.
- Avoid touching your face throughout the day – it’ll still be there, you don’t need to keep checking!
- Apply a primer with a non-greasy formula, such as the Smashbox PhotoFinish Primerizer, before you start on the rest. This will even out the surface of your skin and help to lock make-up on.
- If lip gloss is your thing (we love the nude palette in the bareMinerals Gen Nude Buttercream Lipgloss Collection), then dabbing a little concealer on your lips before application will highlight the shade by muting your natural lip colour and giving it a little extra something to adhere to.
- Use an eye pencil in a coordinating shade as a base for your eyeshadow, such as the Clarins 4-Colour All-In-One Pen. Just colour all over your lid then apply the eyeshadow.
- Try using a wet shadow brush on your lids – you’ll get more pigment and the colour will last longer. For even more drama, double up layers of your powdered eyeshadow. A few light sweeps of the Smashbox Cover Shot Mini Eye Palette will bring some serious drama, but don’t overdo it or you’ll look like you’ve done a few rounds with Mike Tyson.
- If in doubt, opt for a product that will do the job for you. Bobbi Brown’s Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner Duo is the sliced bread of the make-up world – it’s not going anywhere.
- Already planned your summer getaway? Urban Decay’s All Nighter Setting Spray will be available on board from May onwards, so you can skip straight to summer skin!
Combine the lot, and you’ve got a make-up look that could take on a spin session in Dubai. Though we’d probably recommend you just hit the beach…